Pages

Search Me

Wednesday 2 December 2009

Life-Drawing 1

So today we got to have one pose for about two-and-a-half hours (maybe a little more). In that time I drank three cups of tea, took a walk to the Tim Horton's with my class-mates, and managed to do five drawings (in addition to a whole bunch of gestures) on big newsprint.

I'm quite happy with the results... Obviously still beginner's pieces, but I thought I'd post them here anyway. Oh and also I photographed these with them lying on the ground in a jiffy just as class ended, so the quality is rubbish. Sorry about that. The drawings are presented in the order in which I made them.

This is drawing one. It's just a rough sketch. Notice how it's perpendicular to another gesture from another class a long time ago. Anyway I like the foot... Oh and it's done in compressed charcoal.

This one is the second drawing. That's a folded piece of fabric he's sitting on... it's not his leg. Funny how it didn't look at all like his leg to me until now. Anyway, the photo is on an angle. Humf. I like the back here. I think this is either compressed charcoal or conte. Can't remember which.

I kinda like the feel of this one. It's done in vine/willow charcoal. I love willow because it's so malleable. The next best thing to having an 'undo' button, really. Originally I made the foot way too small. Then Natalie pointed it out and I had a fit of erasing and re-drawing. Mmmm. Love willow on newsprint.

This photo turned out all blurry. Anyway it was probably my least favourite of the lot. It's done in coloured conte. I like the leg... but the rest of it is wanting. The head especially. Oh well.

This is the last one. I did it in charcoal pencil (you know, the wood-less kind). I did it really quickly, just a gesture followed by outlines and then filling in the deepest darks and using lines to hatch out some shadows. Ah, lines... my favourite. I like lines more than anything else, so this one is my favourite. It was fun to do something just the way I like it.

Now I go and catch some zzz's... Goodnight.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice drawings Angela! Its funnny but I was just reading about pseudopod formation today for my thesis.... maybe I should put some of your sketches on the front of it?

Pseudoangela said...

Feel free to use my sketches :) You don't even have to cite me, it's ok.