Pages

Search Me

Tuesday 20 October 2009

Some new sketches

So I've not put any of my sketches on here because I'm too ashamed of them. But today I had two which I was proud of (in the way that parents are proud of ugly children). They're really not much to write home about, but believe you me, they're an improvement to things I was producing a month ago!

So here's one that's done with white conte on black paper.

I didn't have time to do tonal blocking on the fabric covered stool the model was sitting on. So it stayed as a gesture. But I kind of like it that way. In fact, I hate tonal blocking. Probably because I'm so rubbish at it. I really like gestures though. Oh and I hate doing faces.

Here's a second pose. Vine charcoal on white paper. I took photographs at 3 stages.


So this is stage one. You can see that one of her legs is still just scribbles. Unfortunately the camera didn't focus so well cos I was in a hurry and wobbled. She was also leaning on a cane (which is invisible). I don't like drawing canes because I think they look stupid. For some reason our models usually end up with a cane at some point. Sigh.


This is the second stage. I've keyed in the landmarks (shoulder & hips etc.) and filled in the figure accordingly. I liked it best at this stage.

I don't like the end product so much. It's not complete of course - we never get enough time to really work it to completion. But anyway I like the gestural stages much better.

I keep intending to go along to life drawing without instruction - that should be good practice. I have another life drawing class tomorrow too, which I'm looking forward to :)

3 comments:

Lorysa said...

WOW! These are gorgeous :) Far better than I could even attempt...

Pseudoangela said...

Thank you! that's ever so encouraging :)

dantesnose said...

Not just a pretty face!!