Pages

Search Me

Tuesday 28 April 2009

Euphemisms Galore

Euphemisms and Verbal Play: Figures, Metaphors, Flippancies and Remodellings

Her scotches, long and slender
Reached to her kingdom come,
Her hobsons, low and husky
Made my newingtons go numb.

I took her for some Lillian Gish
Down at the chippy caff.
We squeezed into my jam-jar
And drove back to my gaff.

She then began removing
Her full-length almond rock,
Revealing size nine how-de-do's
Which gave me quite a shock.

And with a sexy butchers
She murmured 'I'm all yours.'
SHe then took of her fly-be's
ANd dropped her early doors.
(From 'Cockney's Lament' by Ronnie Barker)

scotch (peg) = leg
kingdom come = bum, fanny
hobson's (choice) = voice
newington (butts) = guts
Lillian Gish = fish
jam-jar = car
almond rock = sock/frock
how-de-do's = shoes
butchers (hook) = look
fly-be(-nights) = tights, pantyhose
early doors = drawers, underpants

2 comments:

...and Enide said...

Ummm... what's the point of a euphemistic song if you offer us a glossary? ;-)

Pseudoangela said...

So we can all fee cockeyed at cockney.

Besides, I was thinking that maybe rhyming slang aren't really euphemisms??