Pages

Search Me

Friday 6 June 2008

What does this button do?

I don't know if you've noticed that a new button has appeared on my blog, on the right hand column. It looks like this . Do you know what it does?

I never used to be a subscriber of feeds, not until I started feeding. Basically, a feed is a stream of information which can be grabbed by a reader - so that you don't have to do it. For instance, if you read my blog, then you have to keep coming back once in a while to see if I've posted something new. It's arsey because I sometimes post alot, and sometimes very little. Now, if you subscribe to my blog in a reader, the reader will keep checking the feed and collecting all the new information. Then it stores the information in a orderly, easily digestible manner for you, until you are quite ready to go through them.

I've found this to be a great way to keep track of websites and blogs that I frequent. I now have about 20 blogs/sites in my GoogleReader, which organizes, and marks them as "read" when I go through them. I find GoogleReader to be simple and extremely functional (like lots of other things Google designs) - also, it's web based, so I can access it where ever I go.

So if you've not started subscribing to feeds yet, try it. It's like having free subscriptions to alot of magazines for free!

p.s. of course of also have the option of burning a feed, so others can subscribe to it...! Google's Feed Burner also makes that quite simple.

0 comments: