Pages

Search Me

Friday 4 January 2008

Press for Freedom (except for people who work for the press)

I've recently been tuning in to the BBC podcast series, Press for Freedom. It's very good to keep my mind occupied to and from work (long public commute). Funnily enough, I work for the press (translator at newspaper), and these days I am feeling distinctly un-free. Not in the ideological sense, since my ideological opinions are not sought anyhow (we are input/output machines, essentially). In fact, there was a simply appalling article today, and I brought it up with one of the editors. They decided to go ahead and run it anyway. I guess it's not a big deal, since my objection to the article is mainly stylistic - and after the editors get at it, it'll probably read a lot less New Age (I mean that in the worst sense of the term). Anyway, my feeling of un-freedom is due to over working. To put it basically, we have too few holidays. I get one day off a week, plus 2 more additional days off somewhere in the month. Somehow, without the two day break each week that I have become accustomed to in the West, this is very difficult. One day off is really not much - I need one day just to recover!
Even worse, we had 3 days we could take off recently: Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and the 2nd of January. I decided to save these days for when Toph arrives, so I worked all three. Oh, and the boss is away, so the workload on each of us has increased somewhat - but I suspect it's increased most heavily for me as I've been here the whole time...
So, I'm knackered. Oh, and today is my "duty day," which means I get to do photo captions (always a bitch), and stay till 10 pm while everyone else takes off at 9.

It's not that bad. I just like to complain when I'm tired, that's all...

0 comments: