Pages

Search Me

Wednesday 16 July 2014

from Moral Disorder by Margaret Atwood

"Now we're at the door. The persistence of material objects is becoming an amazement to me. It's the same door - the one I used to go in through, out through, year after year, in my daily clothing or in various outfits and disguises, not thinking at all that I would one day be standing in front of this very same door with my grey-haired little sister. But all doors used regularly are doors to the afterlife." (61)

"The objects I chose were designed to hold something, but I didn't fill them up. They remained empty. They were little symbolic shrines to thirst. I knew they were worthless clutter, but they made it into the tin trunk whenever I packed up again." (104)

"But my dreaming self refuses to be consoled. It continues to wander, aimless, homeless, alone. It cannot be convinced of its safety by any evidence drawn from my waking life. I know this because I continue to have the same dream, over and over." (112)

Atwood, Margaret. Moral Disorder. Toronto: Seal Books, 2007.


0 comments: