Pages

Search Me

Monday 31 May 2010

Touched down

The flight was long and bumpy but otherwise fairly uneventful. I watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo mainly so that I will not be socially excluded from conversations regarding said film. It was ok.

Service on Eva Airways is pretty good and, in a way, very Taiwanese. The English announcements were torturous, and the staff were attentive though slightly jarring to anyone who's not quite used to it. Water was not so much offered as shoved into one's face on a tray. The staff seemed so much in control that for a moment I felt as though I were aboard a plane designated for the infirm and that plastic cups of water will soon be followed by little coloured pills.

Several times during the flight we seem to have collided with air pockets of immense proportions. Though I am quite a veteran of turbulence, it never ceases to strike me how strange and unfathomable it is that we are so far up in nothingness, and the plane's grip on the (vaguely recollected) laws of physics which keep us airborne always feels a tad tenuous.

The middle aged lady sitting next to me watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo on my screen for a good quarter of the film. I wondered slightly at what she thought of the s&m scenes, and figured that she must have liked it in the end because she asked me to put the movie on for her on her personal screen so that she could watch it again from the beginning.

Now I am home. I've had a shower and some breakfast and poured myself a glass of water. Gonna catch me some zzz's and then do some yoga and go for a swim... Then my first meal in Taipei...! I'm looking forward to this.

0 comments: