Pages

Search Me

Friday 11 December 2009

It's all in the eyes


I came across the illustrations of Julie Colombet via Drawn, and really liked how she does the eyes of her characters. Being slightly obsessed with anthropomorphism, I've noticed that so much of what I read into the expression of a character (be it a human, an animal or inanimate object) is determined by how the eyes are rendered. Somehow her style of eyes look to me to be slightly alarmed and wary - perhaps it's the dark shadow under the eyes and the fact that the direction of the gaze is often averted from the viewer? Anyway, lovely illustrations to share with you.








Another series of children's illustrations I'm keen on is from Good as New (written by Barbara Douglass, & illustrated by Patience Brewster). It's a story about a boy and his teddy-bear. I'm not overly fond of the human figures - but I love how the teddy is always looking at the boy (often with love and adoration, like below). Kind of like a Calvin & Hobbes thing... Here's some pictures from it.


[from Good as New illustrated by Patience Brewster]


[from Good as New illustrated by Patience Brewster]

0 comments: