Pages

Search Me

Saturday 10 October 2009

I just wanted to say...

One day I felt unwell and stayed at home alone; Katya and Sonya had gone with him to Nikolskoye to look at the new building work. The tea-table was laid, I went downstairs and, while waiting for them, sat down at the piano. I opened the Sonata quasi una Fantasia and began to play it. No one could be seen or heard, the windows to the garden were open, and the familiar, sadly festive sounds rang out through the room. I finished the first movement and quite unconsciously, out of old habit, looked round at the corner where he once used to sit and listen to me. But he was not there; the chair, long unmoved, stood in its corner; but through the window one could see a lilac bush in the bright sunset, and the evening's freshness was pouring in through the open windows. I leaned both my elbows on the piano, covered my face with my hands, and thought. I sat like this for a long time, remembering with pain the old days that could never return...

'Family Happiness,' The Kreutzer Sonata and Other Stories by Leo Tolstoy. Trans. David McDuff and Paul Foote. Penguin, 2008. p. 83.

I too, still feel your absence from my life. Take care, my friend. I hope you are well.

2 comments:

Syntigris said...

you make me cry again, for i miss him so much, but, i feel so happy and proud too, that i ever have such a good friend.

Pseudoangela said...

Um. I don't think we're talking about the same guy, but I know what you mean.