Pages

Search Me

Thursday 24 September 2009

Back in Toronto


Today I showed up late for my drawing class because when I got off the train at Queen station I saw these two men playing music. They played beautifully so I gave them some change and stood and listened to a whole song (quite a long, complicated, and varied waltz). I wished there was someone I could dance with just then. I emptied the rest of my change in their money box.

I'm trying to give myself reasons to like living in Toronto again. Moving back is not quite the same as moving to a new place. Expectations of familiarities have not been fulfilled in the way I had expected - though whether that is good or bad is really a matter of perspective.

Luckily it's not hard to find reasons to like Toronto. I picked up some canvas trainers at Kensington Market for a tenner. I see good musicians busking in the subway, like these two gentlemen. I eat marvellously good Chinese food at very reasonable prices...

I try not to think too much about what I have left behind.

No one ever said starting a new life was to be easy!

2 comments:

...and Enide said...

I understand what you mean about moving back to an old place. It's surreal being back in DC after so long away--or unreal, maybe. On the one hand, everything looks the way it did when I left. I expect it to be the same. But it's not. Everyone has moved on with their lives. I'm welcomed back, but by different people and places than I left.

I love life here and the people here, but I miss the depth of the everyday in Oxford. Does that make sense?

Wychwood Park Toronto said...

I totally know what you mean. It's never easy to get used to living at one's old place. But it's nice that you are trying to look for positives of Toronto. That's the right way. And hopefully you will start to like living there again soon.

Best, Elli.