Pages

Search Me

Friday 26 June 2009

Please stop doing this, BBC.

Just idly watching BBC news, and I know it's late at night (11 pm) but that's no reason for the quality of journalism to take a nose dive. Item about Michael Jackson supposedly having had a heart attack - ok, fine, I give you that lots of people care about Michael Jackson.

But when the announcer started talking about how according to a fan website Michael Jackson has died, and that this piece of information cannot be confirmed, it hacked me off.

I thought it was specifically the property of Taiwanese media to report hearsay which they found on some joe-blow's website, but apparently I was being unfair. The BBC seems to have jumped in on the act as well.

Why would I need journalists/journalism when all they are giving me is something they read on the internet? What the hell happened to REPORTING?

Don't get me wrong. I'm into twittering and citizen journalism and user generated content - but it's when a media channel tries to straddle that bridge that they wobble and fall into the mire.

0 comments: