Pages

Search Me

Saturday 23 February 2008

My (soon to materialize) handmade life

You may know that I cherish a burning and not so secret desire to be a crafter. I used to enjoy making things when I was wee. It's nice making things when you are wee because the critical faculties are not yet well developed. Anything that comes out of anything is amusing and the process is always fun. I would roll up a ball of newspaper and tape it around and decide that it will become, er, an apple! Then I'd paint it and make a bit of a stem and a leaf etc. - eventually I'd have an apple that I had no idea what to do with. Sometimes I shoved them in my parents' face when they came home, sometimes I give it to them (and they stack it away carefully where they always keep things like that). Some time around junior high or high school I stopped making things just for the hell of it, because: A. I was busy studying and dating boys and getting into trouble, B. I began to be critical of what I made, and think "what's the use in it?"

Well, that's all about to change. I've decided to switch to working part-time (3 days a week), so I can make things again. Also so I don't have to commute 4 hours a day, six days a week, down into town from my mountainous abode. This would hopefully also allow me to read more medieval literature - which I've been intending to do since I graduated (tsk tsk). What will I make? Well, I'm not quite sure yet - but rest assured that when I do, you'll see it here.

I also intend to sell things on Etsy. If you want to support my handmade life, buy something when the time comes!

0 comments: